Getting to Know Your Career Advisors: Claire Wu

Video Edited By: Avery Olson

Meet Claire Wu, the associate director of career strategy at the Lundquist College of Business, and one of four incredible career advisors at Mohr Career Services.

Background

Claire brings a wealth of experience to her role as a career advisor. Claire was the first in her family to earn a college degree. She completed her college education in Taipei, Taiwan, and obtained her master’s degree in Atlanta, Georgia.

However, Claire never intended to become a career coach/advisor. “What motivated me to invest in this training is that in the 21st century, career development is to build a meaningful life which is much more complex than just getting a high-paying job.” 15 years after completing her master’s degree, Claire became a Designing Your Life certified career coach. She shares, “the first two years of my career as a career coach and advisor were a rough transition. I asked myself every day whether it was the right decision. What helped me through those two years was my wonderful mentor who supported me and asked me critical questions that allowed me to reflect and expand my comfort zone…Looking back, I’m glad that I had given it enough time to discover the values of that transition. I’m forever grateful for my mentor whom I’m still in touch with.”

Areas of Expertise

What sets Claire apart is not only her academic and career background but also her empathy and understanding of the challenges students encounter along their career journeys. She is passionate about helping students explore their interests, develop their skills, and pursue opportunities that align with their goals. As she shares in her video interview above, one of her favorite topics to support students with is learning to network as an introvert.

Claire truly enjoys working with a wide range of student populations — from undergraduates to alumni to seasoned professionals and executives. She celebrates multiculturalism and believes that our differences make us unique and make this world rich and fun. And in the United States where working professionals can spend upwards of $200 for a 30-minute meeting with a career coach, at the Lundquist College, career coaching is included in our students’ education. That’s why Claire’s top advice to students who want to make the most of their Lundquist experience is to “Try every service Lundquist offers at least once a year, whether that’s Mohr Career Services, Braddock Tutoring, Professional Edge, a student club, etc. If the services are helpful to you, keep utilizing them.”

Get Support On Your Career Journey

Whether you’re a freshman exploring majors or a senior preparing to enter the workforce, Claire and the Mohr Career Services team are here to support you every step of the way. Book an appointment today and get the expert support you need on your career journey.

By Claire Wu (She/Her)
Claire Wu (She/Her) Associate Director, Career Strategy