Get Involved! Tips from a UO Alum & Recruiting Professional!

Claire Martin, New Relic, Lundquist Alum and Recruiter

Q: Tell us a little about New Relic – products/company/culture/internships, professional development, and early talent roles for business majors!

A: New Relic is a software as a solution (SaaS) company that specializes in one-stop-shop, all-in observability. Essentially, New Relic monitors the health of other companies’ software, ensuring their engineers are notified when and where a bug occurs in their code. Not being a technical professional, what drew me to the company was their culture. I like to describe it as having start-up vibes – where Relics support each other, promote innovation and development, and believe in work / life balance. Our managers and leaders not only support our internship program and early careers team initiatives, but they truly LOVE being involved. On some level, everyone participating gets to live their dream in being that mentor we’ll never forget – the one who gives us our first opportunity, teaches us the specific set of skills you can only learn on the job, and continuously advocates for us.

Being a student is the best time to find that person, and it’s never too late or too early. I found mine while I was working at the UO as a student employee in the central HR office, and she has been pertinent to my career growth and success. We have a range of internship opportunities you should check out, and maybe you’ll find your mentor with us!

Q: What helps my resume stand out when New Relic and brands like it receive so many?

A: The number one piece of advice when you are creating or editing your resume is keep the format simple. Most companies, including New Relic, utilize applicant tracking systems, and fancy designed resumes simply don’t translate well. A simple format also makes it easier for the recruiters to quickly skim to review qualifications. Keep in mind, recruiters take an average of 6 seconds to review a resume, so you want to make it as easy as possible. The next best piece of advice is being involved! Whether it’s at school, at work, or in your community, supplementing your resume with leadership roles is a great way to highlight your soft skills and provides a well-rounded version of who you are. For example, I worked for the UO Student Alumni Association on philanthropy and engagement which gave me opportunities to plan events and work with a wide range of people. This type of work translates on a resume as someone who is organized, detail-oriented, and collaborative. All good things to highlight on a resume!

Q: What more can I do after I submit my application to get noticed and surface my talent and passion to recruiters?

A: Be engaged and intentional! I’m sure you are applying to all the jobs being posted, and for the specific jobs and companies you are most interested in, this is where you can go the extra mile. Do your research about the company: what they do, what their culture is like, try to get answers to your questions. Then go to LinkedIn, find the company page and look through the “employees” tab – you can find employees who are in positions you see yourself in – reach out to these employees, introduce yourself, talk about why you’re interested in the company, and ask for a 15-minute informational chat. Have questions prepared, your own elevator pitch, and be engaged!

Q: If I get a call for an interview screening, what tips do you have to help me prepare for and succeed in this first interview?

A: I’ll keep saying it, but be engaged. Companies want to see people who are passionate and would enjoy working at their company. Again, do your research so you can be prepared. For the questions themselves, be specific and use examples for answers. I recommend you use the STAR format when answering questions. (Describe the Situation, Task, Action, and Result.) This will help you create clarity and structure your answers. Look up common behavioral questions and have a few experiences ready to share that showcase multiple skills. And lastly, have a few questions prepared to ask the interviewer. It’s always great to have the opportunity to interview the company, and that would be your chance!

Q: If I do not get hired, what can I do NOW, in addition to continuing to apply for jobs, to support landing a position now and enhance my career moving forward?

A: Don’t be discouraged! With how many applications you’re submitting and the job market right now, it is tough out there and it’s not a representation of you. Remember there are people in your corner who are around to support you, and you should feel comfortable to lean on them when you need to. I got used to rejection, and sometimes being ghosted, before I landed a job outside of the UO. It was helpful to me to see my career journey as a portfolio instead of a specific path. Initially, I was only applying to specific types of roles instead of broadening my idea of what a fulfilling career could be like and that opened up new opportunities. Use the time to continue building your skills and resume, making genuine and intentional connections, and keep applying.

By Sara Mason
Sara Mason Assistant Director, Industry and Alumni Engagement