How are you supposed to figure out what you want to do? Here at Mohr Career Services, it all comes down to your VIPS.
What are VIPS? Let’s break it down:
- Values—When it comes to thinking about the world of work, what matters to you? A stable job, work/life balance, opportunities for professional growth, working to solve a certain problem in the world, or even high status?
- Interests—What industries or types of companies sound interesting or exciting?
- Personality—In what environment are you likely to do your best work and to thrive? Do you like to work alone or in a group? Are you excited by the energy and potential chaos of a start-up, or would you prefer a more traditional company with clearly defined roles?
- Strengths—We all have a lot of different strengths. Which of your strengths do you want to use at work? Come up with at least three, just off the top of your head. You can always add more later. Strengths that students have mentioned in the past include leadership, teamwork, creative problem solving, organization, communication, and customer service, just to name a few. What comes up for you?
Okay, so you have a sense of your VIPS. Now what? Use this information as an internal yardstick to measure opportunities against. And:
- Start looking for companies that share your values—complete our Top Companies List exercise to get started.
- Do some research to find job roles that sound interesting—try our Top Jobs List exercise to see what piques your curiosity.
If even thinking about your VIPS seems overwhelming at the moment, we invite you to our Career Exploration workshop, on Tuesday, October 10th in 125 Chiles at 4pm. This easy-going, interactive workshop offers a fun way to start identifying your preferences.
Looking for more guidance? Schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor. We can help you take your VIPS and build a customized career search plan. We’ve got you!