Gain Experience and Develop Skills, Accounting
Although you will develop many skills inside the classroom, getting involved and gaining experience will allow you to test them out, improve your abilities, and give you concrete examples to share with future employers.
Project & Leadership Ideas
- Develop a cost-savings plan in class, within a student organization, for a local company, or for a friend.
- Take on a financial leadership role within a student club or organization.
Explore On-Campus Opportunities
- Check out campus job listings on Handshake
- Volunteer to be an accounting tutor for the Braddock Tutoring Center
- Become a financial controller for the Associated Students of the University of Oregon (ASUO)
- Volunteer with Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) through Beta Alpha Psi
- Coursera.org – Enroll in courses on various career skills such as data science and business to help expand your expertise and leverage your skills in interviews.
- LinkedIn Learning – The University of Oregon is now a LinkedIn Learning campus, so UO students can access this professional skill-building learning platform for FREE.
Seek These Types of Internships or Part-Time Jobs
- A part-time job that allows you to gain hands-on experience working with financial statements such as the balance sheet.
- A part-time job that allows you to focus on building relationships with customers or clients.
- An internship that allows you to gain insight into and perform the various accounting procedures such as revenue testing.