Procrastination–the Struggle is Real!

Let’s Get Started on Your Career!

Procrastination…I don’t know why I struggle with it, but I do. It’s not all the time, of course. I’m a reasonably responsible and high-achieving individual. But I know that I struggle with it at times. I also know that I am not alone in this. Procrastination is a common struggle for many people. Studies show that around 20% of people procrastinate, chronically. Studies also show that 50% of college students procrastinate in a consistent and chronic manner. If any of this sounds familiar, here are a few tips to help you overcome procrastination:

• Break things up: Sometimes, the sheer size of a task can be overwhelming, leading to procrastination. To combat this, try breaking down the task into smaller, more manageable steps. This makes it easier to get started and build momentum.
  • Remove distractions: One of the biggest culprits of procrastination is distractions. Whether it’s social media, TV, or email notifications, these distractions can derail your productivity. Try to eliminate or minimize these distractions as much as possible. Your phone’s “Do Not Disturb” should be your new best friend.
  • Use the “two-minute rule”: If a task takes less than two minutes to complete, do it immediately. This might include things like sending a quick email or making a phone call. By doing these small tasks right away, you’ll start to build a sense of momentum and accomplishment.
  • Set deadlines: Without a deadline, it’s easy to put things off indefinitely. Set specific deadlines for your tasks, and hold yourself accountable to them. You might even consider telling someone else about your deadline to increase your sense of accountability.
  • Take breaks: Work for 25 minutes and then take a five-minute break. After 2 hours, take a longer break. This can help you stay focused and avoid burnout.

Procrastination can become a factor when career “stuff” feels overwhelming. Some of you might be feeling like you don’t even know where to begin. Some of you might be thinking that you’re going to graduate soon so it’s too late to start now. Either way, talking with someone about it is a good first step. Mohr Career Services advisors can help!

“Very friendly and helpful. Knowledgable. Took extra time to talk and help me with all of my questions. Really valued this time and found this conversation to be one of the best I’ve had while using any of the career services things.”

Lundquist Student

When it comes to your career, don’t let procrastination hold you back.

It’s never too early. It’s never too late. Start today!

By Gene Rhee
Gene Rhee Executive Director